The Great installCore Kubbeh Experiment – Part 2

BEFORE: The Great ironSource Kubbeh Experiment

The Great ironSource Kubbeh Experiment

The moment of truth has arrived.  The Kubbeh was brought, ate and presumably enjoyed, and the surveys were filled in.

(If you’re clueless and need to catch up on what I’m talking about, catch up here.)

Here are some of the results:

When asked to describe their feelings when the Kubbeh arrived, the tops answers included “Happy” (45%) and “Excited” (40%).  97% of the employees (including the ones who didn’t eat) expressed interest in such an event repeating itself.  25% of the employees left free-text comments with sentiments of thanks to me or offers to help organize the event in the future.

So people liked the event – a great start!  But was it helpful for their productivity at all?

Most of the employees reported that this wasn’t the first time they’d experienced this at the office, but there were 15% first-timers.  95% of the participants who ate Kubbeh self-analyzed their productivity as the same as or better as their performance the day before, and 30% of the participants who did not eat, actually reported a drop in their performance from the day before.

I also included a single mandatory free-text field asking all those who ate if they could describe the impact that they felt on their morning.

42% of the participants said that they were less hungry, and most of those also noted that this delayed the hunger sensation of mid-day.  Several mentioned that by delaying the mid-day hunger sensation, they were able to get some more quality time at the normal lunch-break hour when peers weren’t around, making for a quieter work environment for a short, focused timespan.   Others tied being “less hungry” directly to being more awake and focused earlier in the day.

20% of the participants mentioned that they felt refreshed, re-energized, able to think more clearly or otherwise less distracted as a result.  25% appreciatively mentioned the social aspects of seeing and interacting with peers, and associated that with increased morale and drive to work.  58% specifically mentioned positive feelings (like “happy”, “feeling better”, “awesome”, “nice”) in evidence of positive emotional reaction.

So the employees felt it was a good thing.  But what about their team leaders?

Managers - Type of Effect on Team

80% of the surveyed team leaders mentioned an increase in interpersonal skills and morale in their teams.  20% noticed increased attention span or concentration during work in their teams.  65% felt that there was a positive effect on their team, with the other 35% not feeling an effect.  In a free-text question asking about negative effects, 100% of the team leaders spelled out (to one degree or another) that they saw no negative effects.

When asked to give some open-text responses about the effects of the event on their team, or themselves as a team leader, I started seeing more hesitant responses.  Still, 45% of the answers still pointed at positive points ranging from noticed increase in concentration during the first half of the day, to the simple pleasure of a team leader observing the team interacting with each other, or with other teams, in a healthy friendly group; something which doesn’t always happen in the work day.

Finally, when given a simple “yes or no” choice on whether or not they’d like to see the event repeat, 100% of the responses were “yes”.

Awesome!  The managers liked it too!

So what was my take-home value from this experiment?

If we eliminate the need to point out exactly how, where, and who benefits the most, we clearly see that the event was a Good Thing.

But let’s try to be a bit more specific anyway.

There is definitely evidence of a win-win situation.

The employees were clearly happy with the event, and rated their skills and ability to perform their workload as same-or-better on a day with such an event versus a day without.  Those numbers are backed, though to a lesser degree, by the manager responses.  The managers were clearly also happy with the event, they testified more on the intra-corporate social aspects and increased morale of their direct reports.

The result is a more energized and more engaged employee base.  Something which, according to a recent survey by Towers Watson, is very directly linked with better financial performance for the corporation.

Clearly this type of positive culture in the work environment testifies towards the success being seen in a company labeled as one of the top Israeli start-ups two years in a row.

 

Social tagging: > >

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. It's Good Consulting The Great ironSource Kubbeh Experiment – Part 1 | It's Good Consulting

Leave a Reply